Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween cakes: Zombie Edition

I just completed, delivered and assembled what ended up being the most fun cake I have ever had the pleasure of working on. My college friend, Sheryl, got married this weekend at Wolf Mountain Vineyards in Dahlonega, Georgia. It was an absolutely gorgeous ceremony, complete with a deliciously beautiful cupcake tower. Since everything for the wedding was so formal, Sheryl asked me to make a surprise "grooms cake" for her new hubby, and the three-tier zombie cake is what spawned from our creative energies.

Each layer was made with chocolate cake with chocolate chips, and the filling between the layers was a rich and delicious chocolate ganache. Topped with murky green/brown butter cream to portray a muddy graveyard, the cake came complete with zombie-green appendages sticking from the graveyard and zombie-hunting bride and groom posed up top with their chainsaw and machete.

I used the Wilton line tip to pipe metal fencing on the bottom tier and added fondant gravestones to each tier. I completed the effect by using crumbled up cake tops mixed with a little ganache to emulate the loose dirt of a freshly-dug grave.

Again, let me say: MOST FUN CAKE EVER.

Here is a preview of the cake, and there are more pictures under the pictures tab!



Covered in cake,

Ashlee

No comments:

Post a Comment